Listen on YouTube
Ajay Kamalakaran is a writer and journalist based in Bombay, India. He is currently a columnist for the Malayala Manorama, one of the most widely read publications in India. A veteran on Russian affairs, he was the editor of Sakhalin Times in Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk from 2003 to 2007. He has also been a columnist and editor with Russia Beyond The Headlines, an international multimedia publication, based in Moscow.
Ajay on Twitter: @AjayKamalakaran
Ajay on Facebook: Ajay Kamalakaran
Buy Ajay’s book, Globetrotting for Love and Other Stories from Sakhalin Island on Amazon, or contact us at thebadtake [at] gmail [dot] com (if you’re in Sri Lanka.)
- Globetrotting for Love and Other Stories from Sakhalin Island, written by Ajay Kamalakaran: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/36120078-globetrotting-for-love-and-other-stories-from-sakhalin-island
- Die Presse is a German language daily broadsheet newspaper based in Vienna, Austria: https://diepresse.com/
- Russia Beyond The Headlines (now Russia Beyond): https://www.rbth.com/
- Russia Today (RT) is a Russian international television network funded by the Russian government. It operates pay television channels directed to audiences outside of Russia, as well as providing Internet content in English, Spanish, French, German, Arabic and Russian: https://www.rt.com/
- Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus (formerly known as Victoria Terminus) is a historic railway station and a UNESCO World Heritage Site in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India which serves as the headquarters of the Central Railways. The station was designed by Frederick William Stevens according to the concept of Victorian Italianate Gothic Revival architecture and meant to be a similar revival of Indian Goth (classical era) architecture. The station was built in 1887 in the Bori Bunder area of Mumbai to commemorate the Golden Jubilee of Queen Victoria. The new railway station was built to the south of the old Bori Bunder railway station. It is one of the busiest railway stations in India, serving as a terminal for both long-distance trains and commuter trains. The station’s name was changed from Victoria Terminus (code BBVT) to Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (code CST) in March 1996 in honour of Emperor Chhatrapati Shivaji, founder of the Maratha Empire. In 2017, the station was again renamed Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus (code CSMT).
- Burmese Days, written by George Orwell: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9650.Burmese_Days
- Gastarbeiter is German for “guest worker”. It refers to foreign or migrant workers, particularly those who had moved to West Germany mainly in the 1950s, 60s and early 70s, seeking work as part of a formal guest worker program: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gastarbeiter
- Robert Clive (Major-General), 1st Baron Clive, KB, FRS, also known as Clive of India, Commander-in-Chief of British India, was a British officer and privateer who established the military and political supremacy of the East India Company in Bengal: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Clive
- The Discovery of India, written by Jawaharlal Nehru: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/154126.The_Discovery_of_India